Sunday, December 31, 2023

New Year highlights, and thanks

 Happy New Year!

I realized recently that this blog will be five years old in a few months' time. Ironically, there were times not too long ago that I thought seriously about shuttering the blog -- but then, 2023 turned out to be my busiest year yet for posting here, with 35 total posts (that's 15 more posts than in 2022!). I shifted my approach a bit this year, allowing myself to post less consequential but more personal and creative things, like hobby-related art projects or comments on fan culture. But some of this was hopefully inspiring or useful -- discussing easy DIY foam wargaming terrain or a kitbashed/converted/scratchbuilt army for Epic: 40k has reflected fun things that brought me a lot of enjoyment and utility this year. 

On the RPG front, the highlight was reaching Electrum level on DTRPG.com for my historically informed Bronze Age/Sword-and-Sorcery character background generator, Brazen Backgrounds -- which also received a product update with some fresh and improved content. Hearty thanks to all who have purchased that product. In terms of some of my preferred posts about RPG theory this year, have a look if you missed posts about mechanics for dungeon exploration postures for adventuring parties, simpler character/faction-driven domain-play, or a cultural rationale for re-running dungeons

More philosophically, as I wrapped up a campaign this year I recorded my thoughts about choosing, running, ending, and being content with games and campaigns in their own season. 

Thank you for reading Gundobad Games. I'm excited about ideas for new posts in the season ahead. Best wishes for 2024, and happy gaming!


2 comments:

Unfortunately, recent spamming attacks necessitate comment moderation prior to posting. Thanks for leaving a comment - I'll get to it shortly!